Translate this page
Transportation to School
- Arrival time: 9:05 a.m. Students should be in their classrooms when school begins at 9:20 a.m.
- We encourage all children who live in the walking area to walk to school.
- If you drive your child to school, please enter the south parking lot by way of Dellwood Drive and join the Kiss and Ride line.
- FOR THE SAFETY OF STUDENTS AND ADULTS, CELL PHONE USE IS PROHIBITED IN THE KISS AND RIDE LINE.
- The back parking lot may NOT be used to drop off or pick up students during arrival or dismissal times. For security reasons, the back entrances to the school will remain locked.
- All children enter the building by the front door, #1. This allows the best supervision of those entering the building.
- The front parking lot is reserved for teacher parking and handicapped parking only. Please respect the reserved Handicap Accessible parking spaces. Do not park in them if your car does not have a valid handicap parking permit, even for a quick drop off or pick up.
Student Patrols are stationed at major crosswalks to ensure your child’s safety. Responsible students have been selected to participate in the school safety program directed by a teacher sponsor with assistance from Fairfax County Police. The primary objective is to promote safety among children. Patrols have neither the authority nor the training to stop or direct traffic.
Marshall Road Elementary has three procedures for daily student dismissal:
- Walkers – When announced, students walking home exit by door #2, #3, or #7.
- Kiss and Ride – Students being picked up at Kiss and Ride are notified by number, and are released to the Kiss and Ride area through the front door, #1.
- Bus – Bus numbers are posted as buses arrive, and students riding the bus are released through the front door, #1.
Permission to Change Usual Dismissal Transportation
- All changes of dismissal transportation arrangements must be made in advance. Students will not be permitted to make after-school plans during or after the school day.
- If you have a specific reason to change the way your child will go home on a given day, notify the office by sending a note with your child, or call the office before 1:00 p.m. on the day of the change.
- We must have a note or email from the parent/guardian of both students going home together before the change will be approved. Without a note from both parents, students will go home their usual way.